Tuesday 21 August 2018

The Only Way Is Witchcraft

Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live (Exodus  22:18)

Blonde, dumb, easy, sleeps around, drunk every night, is known for being a slut, stupid, cheap, hair tight to head etc. (Urban dictionary)

It’s my theory that, despite memories of the witch hunts fading, the reputation of the county’s women never really recovered, which is why, when the Essex girl reared her flossy blonde head she was taken up so quickly and decisively. (Syd Moore, ‘Were women accused of witchcraft the first Essex Girls?’)


Welcome to Witch County. Prepare to rethink everything you know about the stereotypical witch (and the stereotypical Essex girl). And remember: The Only Way Is Witchcraft. Revising the traditional ghost story, Syd Moore’s novels bring supernatural mysteries into the twenty-first century, putting the figure of the witch - and at the same time that of the Essex girl - at their heart. Moore’s novels are the perfect blend of Gothic and unapologetic feminism: and trust me, once you start reading them you won’t be able to put them down. 




But first, let me explain why I am so bewitched by these novels, and I’ll start with a confession: I am an Essex girl. Although relatively new, the Essex girl stereotype has been around for a few decades -  and if you're not sure what an 'Essex Girl' is, watch the above video from 1991 for a fairly accurate representation of this stereotype. Sure, I might not always sound ‘Essex’ (my mum is from London you know); I don’t wear white stiletto heels (being 5 foot, you may have noticed I do wear a lot of heels, but mainly of the black variety); and I’ve swapped the orange, baked, fake tan for a pale complexion more befitting a vampire. Also, while we’re here, no I don’t know anyone from TOWIE and no, we don’t all hang out at the Sugar Hut (FYI - Essex is a very big county). But that exactly the point - stereotypes aren’t accurate, and whether we choose to wear stilettos or not, or choose to be tanned or pasty, there is more to every Essex girl than the dumb, blonde stereotype. So, to summarise, I may not fit the stereotype, but this is what an Essex girl looks like.

(Thurrock heritage sign marking Dracula connection)
And even though I’m up in Sheffield researching the Gothic, I haven’t left Essex behind. Vampires have cropped up in my research a few times, and, when I say vampires, that includes the Count himself. Which is perfect for me, because not only is Dracula one of my favourite novels, but I especially enjoy reading the parts set in Purfleet, Essex (for those not as obsessed with Dracula as I am, that’s where Dr Seward’s Lunatic Asylum and Dracula’s Carfax house are situated). I can even remember visiting a local Purfleet museum, and turning into a hidden corned who should I find myself face-to-face with but the infamous Count Dracula! Ok, disclaimer: it was only a coffin surrounded by Dracula posters, but still, it marked a pretty important piece of Essex’s Gothic heritage. And I would be lying to say that I’m not thinking of the Count every time I pass Purfleet station on my journeys to and from Essex and Sheffield. 


(This image captures the importance of trains within Dracula

I never pretend that I’m from London as some of my friends have done, because I love where I’m from (although I’m also proud of my ties to London’s East End, but that’s a story for another time). And that’s why, when I walked into my local Essex book store and saw a book with a gorgeous skull on its cover, a playful tagline declaring that ‘The Only Way is Witchcraft,' and blurb that mentioned the ‘Essex Witch Museum’, I knew I had to read it. 

That book was Strange Magic, the first in Moore’s Essex Witch Museum Mysteries series where she links the historical stereotype of the Witch and the contemporary stereotype of the Essex Girl and questions the accuracy of them both:
‘The Essex girl threatens because she is attractive. That’s why she’s put into, a box, a stereotype, in the first place. So she can be controlled. And disempowered.’

‘Like women accused of witchcraft.’

‘Also controlled. Also disempowered by their label.’ 
(Strange Magic, 2017)

In the age of the Me Too movement, and as cries of a ‘Witch Hunt’ are inauthentically uttered (here is looking at you, Trump), it is important to remember that historical Witch Hunts, and the creation and perpetuation of stereotypes such as the Witch and the Essex girl, function to control, disempower, and silence women. The Me Too movement has proved powerful in empowering women and other disempowered individuals, giving them back, to some extent, control and their own voices. And this is exactly what Moore does through all of her novels, too. Reclaiming the narratives and identities of witches throughout history and that of the recent Essex girl, Moore’s novels are, simply, bewitching.

The Drowning Pool (2011)


Moore’s debut novel tells the story of Sarah Grey, a widow relocating to Leigh-on-Sea with her son Alfie after the death of her husband; expecting to rebuild her life, Sarah and Alfie are soon targeted by several hauntings, including eerie encounters with ‘the burning girl.’ The novel begins with a drunken sĂ©ance, after which the hauntings begin. Sarah is especially targeted by a ghost who turns out to be her namesake, delving into local Essex legends that mark the nineteenth century Sarah Grey as a witch and therefore evil incarnate. This story is a great introduction to Moore’s expert juxtaposition of the historical witch stereotype and contemporary stereotypes of women, and especially the Essex girl stereotype. It also beautifully ties the fictional ghost of Sarah Grey to local Essex histories as Moore’s witch is based on the legends of Sarah Moore, Leigh’s very own sea-witch.

Witch Hunt (2012)


(Colchester Castle)
Delving deeper into the myths and legend of witches, Moore’s second novel explores the infamous Witch-Finder General, Matthew Hopkins, as well as drawing inspiration from the legends of his female victims accused of witchcraft such as Rebecca West. The novel’s protagonist, journalist Sadie Asquith, emulates Moore in her desire to research historical witches, acknowledge connections between the witch and the Essex girl stereotype, and also claim back these narratives for women. As Sadie investigates the ‘dark past of the Essex witch hunts,’ she soon experiences strange visions and hauntings. These include a very chilling episode during a visit to Colchester castle where Sadie is accidentally locked in one of its cells: yes, the very ones in which women accused of witchcraft would have been detained in during Matthew Hopkins reign. If that isn’t enough for you, Moore also weaves into her story a brilliant, though fictional, twist regarding the fate of Matthew Hopkins - which you will just have to read to find out! 

The Essex Witch Museum Mysteries



#1 Strange Magic (2017)


#2 Strange Sight (2017)

#3 Strange Fascination (2018)


Not only does the The Essex Witch Museum Mysteries Series have the best books covers, but they are simply fabulous stories. From the moment I read the first book, Strange Magic, I was hooked: the story opens with an eerie prologue detailing the demonic possession of a small boy by the ghost of a child from the era of witch hunts, and anyone who knows me will know that I find demonic possession stories terrifying (and no, I still won’t rewatch The Exorcist). Luckily, the book introduces its feisty protagonist, Essex girl Rosie Strange who has just inherited the Essex Witch museum from her grandfather, Septimus Strange. Skeptical about witches, ghosts and magic, and initially planning to tear down the museum (a museum that is, by the way, designed to look like a skull), Rosie ends up on a embroiled in a mysterious hunt with the museum’s curator, PhD student (who’s dissertation is on, you guessed it, witches) Sam Stone, who Rosie humorously oscillates between finding extremely irritating or attractively captivating. Teaming up, Rosie and Sam embark on a journey to find the bones of the Essex witch from St. Osyth, Ursula Cadence, in order to save the possessed boy. Along the way, Rosie is visited by the ghost of Ursula herself - or, surely not, because ghosts and witches aren’t real, are they? 

(Skeleton of a witch, believed to be Ursula Cadence or Kempe, found at St Osyth, Essex)
Moore’s wit makes Rosie and Sam one of the best literary detective duos, and trust me when I say that you will want to follow their relationship and their investigations throughout this series. The second book, Strange Sight, introduces a paranormal lockdown situation where the pair investigate the apparent haunting of an East End restaurant (did I mention that half of my family is from the East End?) while Strange Fascination explores the mysteries of a centuries-old boulder in the fiction Adder’s Fork, home to the Essex Witch Museum, as it is moved by developers. The boulder is said to mark the grave of a witch and is based of the legends of Ann Hewghes who lived in the village of Great Leighs, Essex where she was accused of witchcraft and burned at the stake, her remains buried under the boulder.

Throughout this series, Moore stylishly offers a commentary on the witch and Essex girl stereotypes. If you like Gothic tales of witches full of hauntings, magic, wit, and plenty of unashamed feminism, then this series is for you. And, like The Drowning Pool and Witch Hunt, Moore brilliantly ties her stories to the histories, myths, and locales of Essex while revisiting the stories of the counties many victims of historical witch hunts. 
Think you know witches? Think you know Essex girls? Think again.





Mary Going is a PhD researcher at the University of Sheffield exploring exploring depictions of Jewish characters, myths and legends - such as Shylock, vampires, and the Wandering Jew - in late-eighteenth and early-nineteenth century literature. She is co co-organiser of Sheffield Gothic and the Gothic Bible project, as well as being Sheffield Gothic's current Vampire Slayer, and keeping with the Witch theme of this blog Mary recommends the Buffy episode 'Gingerbread' (E11 S03) as a must watch. You can also find her on twitter: @MazGoing

11 comments:

  1. Are you tired of being human, having talented brain turning to a vampire in a good posture in ten minutes, Do you want to have power and influence over others, To be charming and desirable, To have wealth, health, without delaying in a good human posture and becoming an immortal? If yes, these your chance. It's a world of vampire where life get easier,We have made so many persons vampires and have turned them rich, You will assured long life and prosperity, You shall be made to be very sensitive to mental alertness, Stronger and also very fast, You will not be restricted to walking at night only even at the very middle of broad day light you will be made to walk, This is an opportunity to have the human vampire virus to perform in a good posture. If you are interested contact us on Vampirelord7878@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Name is Steve Jones from Canada, i turn to a vampire any time i want to, I become a real vampire because of how people treat me, This world is a wicked world and not fair to any body. At the snack of my finger things are made happened. Am now a powerful vampire and no one step on me without an apology goes free. I turn to human being also at any time i want to. And am one of the most dreaded and respected person in my country. i am now also very famous and rich with the help of the VAMPIRES EMPIRE. i get what ever a want. i become a vampire through the help of my friend who introduce me into a vampire Kingdom by given me their email: jamessuccessfultemple45@gmail.com, if you want to become a powerful and a real vampire kindly contact the vampire kingdom on their email: jamessuccessfultemple45@gmail.com for help. it is real. Contact them today. jamessuccessfultemple45@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being a vampire is not what it seems like. It’s a life full of good, and amazing things. We are as human as you are.. It’s not what you are that counts, but how you choose to be. Do you want a life full of interesting things? Do you want to have power and influence over others? To be charming and desirable? To have wealth, health, and longevity? contact the vampires creed today via email: Richvampirekindom@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was diagnosed of herpes virus, I have tried all possible means to get cure but all my effort proved abortive, until a friend of mine introduced me to a herbal doctor called Chief Dr Lucky, who prepare herbal medicine to cure all kind of diseases including herpes virus (Herpes), when i contacted this herbal doctor via his email, he sent me herpes virus herbal medicine via courier service, when i received the herbal medicine he gave me step by step instructions on how to apply it, when i applied it as instructed i was totally cured from the virus within 3 weeks of usage. Contact this great herbal doctor today to get your cure. Via Email : chiefdrlucky@gmail.com Whats App : +2348132777335

    ReplyDelete
  5. ATTENTION PLEASE!!! Am so glad to be expressing my profound gratitude to a man that is so concerned about other people's well being. I was suffering from (HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS TYPE II) The doctors keep telling me that there is no cure but i believe that there is a cure somewhere and they don't want people to get cured. I tried searching online if i could see anything that will help me and i a comment on YouTube on how Dr Osato help to cure herpes with herbs and i also saw so many comments about him on many web pages on how he had helped and cured so many people suffering from HERPES 1$2, HPV, CANCER, HIV/AIDS, COLD SORE. So i contacted him through his email and i shared my problems with him and he sent me the herbs through UPS and gave me instructions on how to use it. It took me two weeks to finish the herbs and after I finished using it, he told me to go for a medical test, behold the result was negative, now I am HERPES VIRUS free. I just want to use this platform to thank Dr. Osato for curing me from that horrible disease and also for exposing his herbal cure to the world at large, please you can as well contact Dr Osato on his email,website or WhatsApp below.

    Email: osatoherbalcure@gmail.com
    Website: osatoherbalcure.wordpress.com
    WhatsApp: +2347051705853

    Dr Osato herbs is the perfect remedy for Herpes1&2, HPV, HIV and other diseases. 

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm someone who has lived a life seemingly in the background, I must say this final indignity I have suffered almost too much to endure. You see, I have been sickly and weak since the day I was born and doomed to go through my life weakling. I seemed to have always suffered from one illness or another and could never play with the other children as I so desperately wanted to. Mother always made such a big fuss over me, also, making the situation worse as the other boys teased me mercilessly after they saw it. I was browsing  the internet searching on how I could be transformed into a powerful person when I came across the email of a man named Lord Mark. who was a VAMPIRE so I told him that I has always dreamed about of becoming a  VAMPIRES, All i did was just to follow the procedure that i was been told, and I bet you that procedure I took change my entire life to something i ever desire, freedom, sickness free, pains free, fame, influence, connections and even more that i can. Thanks to Lord Mark. Do you want a life full of interesting things? Do you want to have power and influence over others? To be charming and desirable? To have wealth, health, and longevity? contact the vampires creed today via email: Vampirelord7878@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello there, here is a quick one this is solely for those in need of a change in their love life, those seeking for a trustworthy spell caster to help revive their crumbled/crumbling relationship and also ailments of different kinds, this Doctor is one who is truly versatile, compassionate and reliable when it comes to spell casting.. Doctor Egwali spell home is the right choice for you all you need do is just a Contact then I can assure you that the rest would be complete magic, my love life was on the verge of collapsing until I ordered for a love spell all due procedures were properly followed to ensure it works perfectly well. Today I'm a living witness that Doctor Egwali spell magic does work without any reasonable doubt that is why I'm using all medium to let the world know of this great Spell Doctor who brought back peace and unity to my home, Talk to him today and have your emotional setbacks wiped out totally.
    Reach him at these contacts!

    WhatsApp: +2348122948392
    Courier: dregwalispellbinder@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. My name is Tom cam!!! i am very grateful sharing this great testimonies with you all, The best thing that has ever happened in my life, is how i worn the Powerball lottery. I do believe that someday i will win the Powerball lottery. finally my dreams came through when i contacted Dr. OSE and tell him i needed the lottery winning special numbers cause i have come a long way spending money on ticket just to make sure i win. But i never knew that winning was so easy with the help of Dr. OSE, until the day i meant the spell caster testimony online, which a lot of people has talked about that he is very powerful and has great powers in casting lottery spell, so i decided to give it a try. I emailed Dr. OSE and he did a spell and gave me the winning lottery special numbers 62, and co-incidentally I have be playing this same number for the past 23years without any winning, But believe me when I play the special number 62 this time and the draws were out i was the mega winner because the special 62 matched all five white-ball numbers as well as the Powerball, in the April 4 drawing to win the $70 million jackpot prize...… Dr. OSE, truly you are the best, with Dr. OSE you can will millions of money through lottery. i am a living testimony and so very happy i meant him, and i will forever be grateful to him...… you can Email him for your own winning special lottery numbers now oseremenspelltemple@gmail.com OR WHATSAPP him +2348136482342,     

    ReplyDelete
  9. DR EMU WHO HELP PEOPLE IN ANY TYPE OF LOTTERY NUMBERS

    It is a very hard situation when playing the lottery and never won, or keep winning low fund not up to 100 bucks, i have been a victim of such a tough life, the biggest fund i have ever won was 100 bucks, and i have been playing lottery for almost 12 years now, things suddenly change the moment i came across a secret online, a testimony of a spell caster called DR EMU, who help people in any type of lottery numbers, i was not easily convinced, but i decided to give try, now i am a proud lottery winner with the help of DR EMU, i won $1,000.0000.00 and i am making this known to every one out there who have been trying all day to win the lottery, believe me this is the only way to win the lottery.

    Contact him via email Emutemple@gmail.com
    What's app +2347012841542
    Https://emutemple.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello everyone out there, I'm here to give my testimony about a herbalist doctor who helped me. I was infected with HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS in 2011, I went to many hospitals to heal myself but there was no solution, so I was thinking how I can get a solution so that my body can be well. One day I was in the river thinking about where I can go to get a solution. so a lady walked towards me telling me why I'm so sad and I open everything by telling her my problem, she told me she could help me, she introduced me to a doctor who uses herbal medicines to cure the SIMPLEX HERPES VIRUS and gave me your email, so I sent you an email. He told me everything I had to do and also gave me instructions to take, which I followed correctly. Before I knew what was happening after two weeks, the SIMPLEX HERPES VIRUS that was in my body disappeared. therefore, if you also have a broken heart and need help, you can also send an email to {drpaulherbalhome4@gmail.com}
    Contact him today and he will have a testimony ... Good luck!

    Dr. PAUL also cures:
    1. HIV / AIDS
    2. HERPES 1/2
    3. CANCER
    4. ALS (Lou Gehrig's disease)
    5. Hepatitis B
    6. chronic pancreatic
    7. emphysema
    8. COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was cured of CANCER with the used of natural herbs. I love herbs so much. Most times, injection and drugs are just a waste of time. I was cured 8 months ago, i suffered from CANCER for 3 yrs but with the help of Dr. JOSHUA herbal medicine, i was cured within few weeks of drinking the herbs he sent to me through courier delivery service. This same doctor also cured my Aunty from FIBROID, as soon as i heard she had FIBROID, i quickly refer her to Dr. JOSHUA and she was cured too after drinking his herbs. I have referred more than 15 persons to Dr. JOSHUA and they were all cured from their various illness. Have you taken herbs before?. You have spent so much money on drugs, injections, surgeries etc and yet you have no good result to show for it. Contact Dr. JOSHUA now, he is a herbalist doctor, i assured you of a cure if you drink his natural herbs. Dr. JOSHUA have herbs that cures Hiv Herpes, diabetics, asthma, hepatitis, HBP, STD, cancer, chronic, etc. Contact Dr JOSHUA through his Email address on: {dr.joshuaherbalhome6@gmail.com} or whatsapp him on +2347048515927 Please share the good news to other people once you are cured . .

    ReplyDelete